Pathways to Promise|
5400 Arsenal Street
St. Louis, MO 63139
FAX: (314) 877-6405
- The pastor should understand that the person can be using this as a protection.
- The person should not be left alone.
- The pastor should reassure the person that he/she is loved and accepted.
- The pastor, or someone in the congregation should sit quietly with the person in a peaceful, secluded place.
- In attempting to have a conversation, the pastor should use short, simple, direct phrases to which the person can give brief responses. The pastor should not be surprised if the person is unable to respond to what is said. The pastor should not demand a response.
- The pastor should contact the family and/or caregiver and the appropriate mental health professionals.
Copyright © 1999 by Pathways to Promise. All rights reserved.